INTERMEDIATE DESIGNER / ARCHITECTURAL DETAILER
PARTISANS is an intrepid studio comprised of architects, designers, thinkers, and cultural enthusiasts devoted to a cause: smart, beautiful, and provocative design.
The Intermediate Designer will assist and work alongside the partners on two major civic projects in Toronto: the Revitalization of Union Station and the interior design of the Hearn Generating Station for the Luminato Festival, an internationally acclaimed arts festival celebrating its 10th anniversary in June 2016. Under the partners’ direction, the Intermediate Designer will prepare detailed specifications and drawings for interiors, buildings, and structures in conformity with project requirements. The Intermediate Designer will be encouraged to become familiar with other projects in the studio to gain knowledge of our concepts, designs, and technological approaches, and be able to pinch-hit if required.
PARTISANS requires an Intermediate Designer who is at once highly creative, technically proficient, and technologically savvy. S/he should also be comfortable working in 21st-century studio culture, i.e., is comfortable working independently and collaboratively, demonstrates drive, curiosity, and a good sense of humour, and will contribute positively to the overall energy of the studio.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• 2 years of postgraduate work experience in an architectural practice;
• Completion of Bachelor or Master of Architecture from a recognized institution;
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit, and other 3D modeling software;
• Highly motivated with an ability to work well either on a team or independently;
• Experience and expertise in construction documentation (including envelope detailing) for institutional, residential and commercial projects;
• Understanding of the Ontario Building Code and Toronto’s zoning by-laws;
• Experience in the processes of Authorities Having Jurisdiction (i.e. building permit application, site plan application, committee of adjustment, etc);
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Canadian architectural experience considered an asset.
• Performs design and documentation work that furthers project objectives;
• Gathers and organizes site and building information;
• Prepares graphic drawings, diagrams for presentations, and reports;
• Improves product knowledge and keeps up to date on emerging technologies, systems and products;
• Support, assist, and work alongside Senior Architectural Designers, Project Managers, Associates, and Principals in:
a. The development and conception of architectural designs including research and resolving technical and design issues;
b. Production of compelling design development work;
c. Production of rigorous digital (BIM) models;
d. Production of drawings, specifications and performance of construction administration;
e. Site coordination and working with Contractors to solve construction and site issues;
f. Management and coordination of internal project deadlines and deliverables.
Other related duties will be assigned as required.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and samples of their work (PDF file, max. 5MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Intermediate Designer Position Application” as the subject line.